Login | Register | Our Chapter > Harley Trivia Facts

Interesting Trivia Facts about Harley-Davidson

The first recorded patent related to Harley-Davidson is dated September 11, 1900.

 

The famed "Bar & Shield" logo was used for the first time in 1908.  It was trademarked at the U.S.Patent Office in 1910.

 

In 1916, The Enthusiast ® began its reign as the longest continuously published motorcycle magazine in the world. 

 

The Harley-Davidson Motor Company formally entered motorcycle racing in 1914.  The first Racing Engineer was William S. Harley.  Within a few short years, team Harley-Davidson was referred to informally as the "Wrecking Crew" because of its incredible dominance of the sport.

 

The mysterious Davidson relative who provided financial support for the fledgling Harley-Davidson Motor Company at its origins was known as Honey Uncle.

 

The Harley-Davidson racing team of the late teens to early '20s gave rise to the term "hog" because their mascot was a small pig.

 

"Knucklehead" was a street name for the Harley-Davidson engine that was produced between 1936 and 1947.  The nickname refers to the valve covers that look like the knuckles of a clenched fist.

 

Motorcyclists first rallied in Sturgis, SD in 1938.

 

In 1984, Harley-Davidson unveiled the 1340cc Evolution © engine on 5 of its models including the all-new Softail © (with its trendsetting "hidden" rear shock absorbers).

The result of 7 years of development, the Evolution engine produced more power,

ran cooler, cleaner and was oil-tight.

 

The Dyna line of motorcycles debuted with the 1991 FXDB Dyna Glide Sturgis

 

The FLSTC Heritage Softail Classic © is the modern counterpart to the old full-dress Hydra-Glide(tm) touring bike of the late '40s and '50s — complete with studded leather seat and saddlebags, covered front forks and Fat Bob © fuel tank

 

Harley-Davidson introduced the Custom Vehicle Operations( CVO) program in 1999.

 

Softails and factory custom motorcycles (CVO) are built in the Harley-Davidson Vehicle Operations facility in York, Pennsylvania.